Your guide will meet you at the Red Beach and start walking on the fresh coast line until reaching the start of the trail. From then on we will start climbing up the mountain, passing along various rock formations, mountain vegetation and stopping at the best photo spots. Along the trail there is a high probability of spotting different animals and plants from this urban nature park. This is an amazing opportunity to experience this emblematic mountain in an alternative way!
At the summit you will be able to observe rio's famous destinations such as the Copacabana Beach, Christ the Redeemer Statue and Rio's neighbour city Niterói.
The round trip lasts between 4 to 6 hours, taking you from the Red Beach to the Sugarloaf's summit. To descent we ride the cable car down to it's first stop (Morro da Urca), from there an easy and relaxed trail takes us back to the Red Beach.
During this tour, we will hike to the summit of Rio de Janeiro's famous Sugarloaf Mountain. In 1817, British female adventurer, Henrieta Carstier, made the first ascent up the Costão Route and has been a classic ever since. The most part of the hike is an ascent up the steep mountain face but mid way through there is a fun 15 meter roped and secured rock climb - no previous experience necessary! We will stop at a few spots to get the best pictures and talk about ecology and history.
* Meeting Point: Praia Vermelha, Urca, RJ (in front of the entrance to Pista Claudio Coutinho)
* First section: Pista Claudio Coutinho an easy and beautiful coastal walking path (1.2 km until the entrance to the Costão.)
* The Costão: a steep ascent up the east-face of Sugarloaf Mountain. The majority of this trail is a walk up rock ramps and through forested pathways. There are incredible views of the Niterói, Guanabara Bay, and the Atlantic ocean throughout the tour. We recommend that you are well rested for this activity.
* Climbing section: Midway through the Costão, we will reach an easy climbing section of 15 meters. There is no experience necessary for this climb and our guides will brief the group on basics of belay and climbing safety. All safety equipment is included.
* The Summit: at the summit we will enjoy the world famous views of Rio de Janeiro and Niterói. We can watch the sunset and get a fresh açai or a cold cerveja.
* The Descent: to get back down to the meeting point, we take the cable car Morro da Urca where we will then take an easy hike 30 minutes to the bottom or take the cable car all the way down to the Praia Vermelha to end the tour.
Included in booking:
* A multilingual and qualified mountain guide
* Private insurance
* Certified climbing safety equipment
* A first aid kit
* Cable car descent
Languages: English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, German (please notify us of preferred language)
|Tour type||Group tour|
|Your group size||Min 1, max 12|
|Language(s)||English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish|
Multilingual* and qualified mountain guide, private insurance, certified climbing safety equipment, a first aid kit, cable car descent
Food and drinks Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option not selected)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Subject to favourable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Not recommended for participants with back problems
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- 1.5 liters of water
- light snacks
- Comfortable shoes with a good grip
- sunscreen/ bug repellent