Bako National Park is with 27 km² the smallest and the oldest national park Sarawaks. It is located on a peninsula one hour north of Kuching and is definitely worth a visit.
* Fauna, Flora, Animals - This rainforest has an impressive fauna and flora and lots of wonderful animal as well. Including proboscis monkeys, macaques, bearded pigs, deer piglets, bats, leprechauns, plumploris, spotfish, flying lemurs, wild orchids, carnivorous pitcher plant, casuarina, hibiscus, almond tree, palm trees, lilies and many more.
* Transport - You can go by bus, minivan or taxi from Kuching to Bako Bazaar. And from Bako Bazaar only by boat to the National park on the peninsula. Boats are only going if the sea has a high tide. So it can happen that you have to wait for the next drive. Better you inform yourself about the tide before to avoid waiting and to get back timely from Nationalpark to Bako Bazaar.
* Food - Food and drinks are also provided in the park by a self-service restaurant. In between you get snacks and drinks from the automat.
* Accomodation - You can stay in the park in lodges according to the desired standard.
* Trails - There are several marked trails through the park, shorter ones and really long ones. You get a card at the entrance. Trail Nr. 7 is leading to the waterfall and takes about 5 hours there and back.
* Special tip - Join the night walk with the ranger. You will see a lot of animals which you never would see on your own.
* Advice - It is advisable to stay on the trails cause if you go too far off the path it can happen getting a leech. And ideally to wear closed shoes, socks and light long trousers cause the mosquitoes can also be annoying.
* Recommendation - All in all I recommend staying in the park at least two days. So you have more time for the trails and for arrival and departure.
Enjoy the unique experience to reach Maeklong Railway Market (umbrella pulldown market) by taking a local train. Then, visit Damnoen Saduak, the most famous floating market in Thailand filled with colorful boat vendors to explore. Private tour.
8 days / 7 nights at the Surfer Beach Camp (Weligama, Sri Lanka) situated just in front of a great beginner breaks that will get you up and ripping in no time, If you have in mind to have the perfect beach holiday and the waves breaking just meters away, this is it.