Being Armenian, I visited Tatev's monastery only two years ago for the first time. The feeling I got there can be compared only with the one I have when visiting Gandzasar Monastery in Artsakh. Peace, Tranquility, Harmony, Inspiration, Pride.
Tatev's monastery is an architectural treasure of Armenia, it dates back to the 9th century. Tatev played a significant role in the history of the region as a center of economic, political, spiritual, educational and cultural activity.
Tatev is a must for those who are visiting Armenia. I would recommend choosing a clear sunny day for a visit in order to admire the beauty of the area.
5 reasons to visit Tatev:
1. Gorgeous Location. Even if you are not a fan of historical monuments or monasteries, you should visit Tatev just to admire its nature. The beautiful photos you will take there will remind you about this trip for a long time.
2. Wings of Tatev cableway is the longest reversible aerial tramway built in only one section. The views opening from there are breathtaking. Tickets cost around 15 USD. You can book it online, where you can find also all information regarding the cableway.
3. Tatev Monastery. It stands on the edge of a deep gorge of the Vorotan River. In the 14-15th century, Tatev Monastery hosted one of the most famous Universities. Scholars of Tatev's University contributed to the development Armenian art and culture. In 1995, the monasteries of Tatev, Tatevi Anapat and their adjacent areas of the Vorotan Valley were added to the tentative list of World Heritage Sites of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) (Wikipedia)
4. Devil's bridge. This 30 m length bridge located below Tatev's monastery. You can swim in salubrious springs, ringed by stalactites of astonishing colors.
5. Swinging bridge in Khndzoresk. Adrenaline lovers shouldn't miss a bridge located in the area. It is safe to walk but not everyone has the courage to look down :).
You will need around 4 hours to get to Tatev from Yerevan. If you are on a budget, I would suggest One Way Tour. For 8000 AMD (around 16 USD) they will take you in a comfortable minibus to see 3 locations in one day. You get a company and a guided tour.
If you decide to make the way to Tatev on your own, then probably it is better to spend a night there. Here are some highly-rated options on Booking.com:
We offer you a fascinating journey on SUVs. You will enjoy the beauty of mountainous Armenia accessible only for hikers and off road travelers. The advantage of this jeep tour is that it will give you an opportunity to visit a lot of interesting places and see the most hard-to-reach corners of Armenia.
What do we mean by saying “a journey to Armenia”? Walking in Yerevan? Or seeing Ararat? Or exploring Khachkars? Trying national food? Communicating with local people? Spending the night in a village house? Climbing mountains? Feeling the nature? The answer is very simple: all the above mentioned and even more.